Friday, January 14, 2011

Financial partner?!?!

Today I decided to tackle the research into where I would like to open a checking account. I knew I wanted something accessible, but it doesn't have to be the closest bank. I think I'm really looking for something a little more personal than the "big bank in town", where we keep our personal accounts. And I wanted something that would fit my "small business" profile. So on the web, I have researched 5 banks, all having a local branch, & all have been around a while. For a small business expecting a small amount of transactions, I am finding that the biggest difference is the number of transactions allowed. Anything over the number allowed, and you get charged. I never heard of such a thing!! So if your deposits are greater than you thought, they will charge you anywhere from $.25 to $.50 a transaction, and one bank even lopps on a $5.00 charge just for going over, & then charges you the highest amount I found in the area - $.50. Well, I don't foresee me going over any of the limits on transactions, so I don't think it will be an issue, but just in case, right?!?! One thing I don't understand is hours. Banks are still very traditional in their hours. Only one of the 5 opens at 8:30 AM, the rest open at 9:00 AM. Now seeing that I have a full-time job other than the one that I am pursuing, that doesn't work. That still means I have to go out on my lunch hour to do my banking, unless I use an ATM, which I don't like to do for deposits. Only one of the 5 banks stays open until 6:00 PM everyday, so I've got to run to the bank before I pick up the kiddo, and only on Fridays if I go with any of the other banks. What?!?! But the good thing is...online banking, bill pay, and debit cards are free...mostly. OK, so this decision may be more of a gut-feeling, than a rational, thought-out one, but I'll save that for another post.